The Book of Mormon.
Joseph Smith did not Believe it! Why should you?
Joseph Smith, the man who, we are told, God used to bring forth the
Book of Mormon had this to say about that book:
It is "the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of
our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its
precepts than by any other book."
Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 194 ; History of the Church, 4:461
With that in mind, let's see if the Church founded by Joseph Smith
abides by the precepts of this "keystone" book.
There follows 20 teachings of the LDS Church, try finding the place
where they are taught in the Book of Mormon.
- 1. Elohim (God the Father in Mormonism) was once a mortal man, He
was not always God.
- 2. God has a body of flesh and bone.
- 3. God is married in heaven.
- 4. Men can become gods.
- 5. Temple participation is necessary to become exalted.
- 6. Jesus and Lucifer are brothers.
- 7. The blood of Christ does not cleanse certain sins.
- 8. A person can lose his salvation if he is not baptised on behalf
of dead relatives.
- 9. There is more than one God.
- 10. Males must hold either the Aaronic or Melchizedek Priesthood.
- 11. You cannot drink tea or coffee.
- 12. There are "Three degrees of glory".
- 13. The Holy Ghost is a Son of God just as Jesus is a Son of God.
- 14. Polygamy was approved by God.
- 15. If a man wishes to be saved he must have a woman by his side.
- 16. Faithful Church members must wear sacred undergarments
that have the power to protect them.
- 17. Official church doctrine must be voted on by the general membership.
- 18. The Black race (seed of Cain) survived the flood because the devil
needed a representation on earth.
- 19. God is the offspring of another God who, in turn, is the offspring
of another God, (ad infinitum.)
- 20. The highest level within the celestial kingdom is the "Church
of the Firstborn".
Have you searched your Book of Mormon? Did you find those teachings
- any of them? No! Because the Book of Mormon does not contain any
of those teachings and yet, in its Introduction the Book of Mormon
is declared to contain "The fulness of the everlasting Gospel." Doctrine
and Covenants Sec. 20:9 also makes that claim.
Yet none of those 20 beliefs, nor many others, can be found in the
book. In fact, in many cases Mormon teaching is in conflict with this
Mormon Scripture, the keystone of their religion.
Many Mormons will never have heard of some of those 20 teachings so
let me list, very briefly, where you can check for yourself:
Since these twenty distinctive Mormon doctrines cannot be found in
the Book of Mormon, it becomes obvious that Joseph Smith did not really
believe the Book of Mormon!
Since he didn't, then why should you - or anyone else - believe that
it is "Another Testament of Jesus Christ"?
- 1. God was once a mortal man - "Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith."
Page 345. This is in conflict with Moroni 8:18.
- 2. God has a body of flesh and bone - Doctrine and Covenants, Sec.
130:22 and "Key to the Science of Theology". Parley Parker Pratt,
1978 edition, page 23.
- 3. God is married - "The Seer". Apostle Orson Pratt, pp. 37, 158.
- 4. Men can become gods - Proclaimed by Joseph Smith on April 7, 1844
during a discourse known as "The King Follett Discourse". Journal
of Discourses 8:1-11; Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith p. 342-362;
Teachings of the Prophet Lorenzo Snow quoted by Milton R Hunter in
"The Gospel Through the Ages", pp 105-106
- 5. Temple necessary - D &C 131:1-4; Mormon Doctrine, page 779.
- 6. Jesus and Lucifer brothers - "The Gospel Through the Ages", page
- 7. Christ's Blood insufficient - "Discourses of Brigham Young, p.
385; Bruce R. McConkie's "Mormon Doctrine", page 92.
- 8. Baptism for Dead - Doctrines of Salvation 2:145,149.
This is in conflict with the Book of Mormon, see Alma 34:34,35.
- 9. Plural gods - History of the Church 6:474. Conflict: Alma 11:26-29.
- 10. The Priesthood - Gospel Principles page 73.
- 11. Tea or Coffee - D.& C. 89; Journal of Discourses 12:223.
- 12. Three degrees of glory - Mormon Doctrine pages 777-778.
- 13. The Holy Ghost, Son of God - "The Encyclopedia of Mormonism", vol.
2 under the heading "Holy Ghost."
- 14. Polygamy approved by God - Journal of Discourses 20:28.
Conflict with the Book of Mormon, Jacob 1:15; 2:23-24; 3:5 etc.
- 15. Man needs woman to be saved - Brigham Young quoted by Spencer
W. Kimball in "The Miracle of Forgiveness" page 245; Improvement Era,
vol. 21, Dec. 1917, pages 105-106; Gospel Doctrine page 272.
- 16. Protective undergarments (A Mormon's lucky charm) - McConkie "The
Mortal Messiah" 2:295; Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson, page 357.
- 17. Voting on Official Doctrine - Mormon Doctrine pages 149-150.
- 18. The Black race - John Taylor, Journal of Discourses 22:304.
- 19. God has a Father and Grandfather, etc. - Teachings of the Prophet
Joseph Smith, page 373.
- 20. Church of the Firstborn - D&C. 76:94; History of the Church, 1:283.
Good Tidings Ministry.